Blog

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Tara's Honey Wheat Bread

 This is my mother-in-law's recipe for honey wheat bread.  It is so scrumptious.  I try to stop at four pieces, but I can easily eat the loaf by myself!  This recipe makes 3 medium-sized loaves, but I didn't know that, and I made two GIANT loaves.  My mother-in-law actually mixed the dough, so I didn't get any pics of it mixing.  I took over the rising and baking.

You need:

3 T. yeast
2 c. warm water
1 c. honey
2 T. salt
2 c. warm milk
4 T. oil
6 c. white flour
4 T. dough enhancer
6 c. wheat flour

Combine all ingredients.    I add the white flour first and the wheat flour last.  This recipe about tops out what my mixer can hold.  Knead the dough for 6-8 minutes.  Cover and let rise till doubled. 


Spray hands and counter top with cooking spray.  Roll or pat dough into a large rectangle.

Cut into thirds, even though the pictures only show two.


Roll each section into a loaf and place into three loaf pans that have been sprayed with cooking spray.

Cover, and let rise till doubled.  Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.  Tap on the tops of the loaves when done baking.  If they sound hollow, they are done.

Lightly brush the tops of the loaves with butter.  This bread is amazing alone, as toast, or in sandwiches.

The one on the left is buttered; the one on the right is unbuttered.

No comments:

Post a Comment