Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My Dad's Amazing Spaghetti

Looking at the ingredients for this dish, you'll notice the smoked sausage.  The first time my dad put in the sausage I thought, "Oh my heck.  This is going to be terrible.  What is he thinking????"  Well, I LOVE spaghetti this way.  So, just try it.  Trust me. 

You need:

4-5 servings of spaghetti noodles
1 beef smoked sausage
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1 med. onion, chopped
1 can sliced olives
2 T. oregano
2 T. basil
2 T. Italian seasoning
1 t. minced garlic
1 packet Spaghetti seasoning (I like McCormicks)
1  15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1  15 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 c. red wine
1 1/2 c. water

Put a large pot of water on the stove to boil for the noodles.  Cook according to package directions.

In a hot, deep pan brown the hamburger and break it up as it cooks.  Drain any excess fat from the cooked burger.  Add the chopped onion and sliced mushrooms to the burger and cook until they start to soften.



Add the garlic, basil, oregano, and Italian seasoning to the pan.  Now, I know I gave measurements, but the picture below shows how I measure.



My cupped palm holds about 2 Tablespoons.  Do it by taste.  If it's too much, start with less.  If it's too little, add more.  Add the sausage and olives to the pan.  Let all that good stuff in the pan hang out together for a couple minutes.  Smell the good smells.



Add the spaghetti seasoning, tomato sauce, water, and diced tomatoes to the pan.  Stir and bring to a bubble.  Now, taste it.  The wine is optional, but it adds such a richness to the dish that it's really missing something without it.  However, it is your choice, and the sauce will still be awesome without it.  If you are adding the wine, do so now.  Stir, and let that hang out in the pan on low, stirring occaisionally unitl ready to serve.  It will taste delicious once it's all bubbly and thickened slightly.  However, letting it simmer for 20 minutes or longer just makes it better. 



Yummy sauce.  Yummy, yummmy sauce.  Here it is all served up.  I like it with a side of garlic bread and salad.



NOTE:  If your pan doesn't look as full as mine, it is because I make a double recipe and freeze half of it.  This makes another spaghetti dinner on a night that I don't feel like cooking just a moment away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment