Blog

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Brown Sugar Wheat Bread

I was given this recipe by a friend.  We had been talking about Quick Rise Yeast.  She said this recipe was perfect.  Well, I came home and just knew I had some quick rise yeast.  Guess what?  I didn't!  Anyway, I made it with regular yeast.  I think my recipe was only meant to make one loaf, and I tried to do two because they turned out really small.  They're not hard or heavy like wheat bread often is, though.  It's really yummy.

You need:

2 c. warm water
1/3 c. packed brown sugar
4 T. vegetable oil
2/3 c. white flour
1 T. dough enhancer
2 t. salt
4 c. wheat flour
1 T. rapid rise yeast

***I always use my KitchenAid Mixer for bread.  It allows me to keep the dough as sticky as possible during the kneading stage.  If you are not using a stand mixer, you'll probably need more flour in order to create a knead-able dough.***

Combine ingredients, using only half the wheat flour and put the yeast on top of it. 


Begin mixing, adding flour until dough cleans the sides of the bowl.


Knead for 6-8 minutes.  This is what it looks like when I am finished kneading it:


It is super sticky, and that's the way I've found bread to work out best for me.

Cover and let rise until doubled.

Punch down.  Now it's time for shaping.  I don't like to add extra flour to my dough for shaping, so I spray my hands and counter top with cooking spray instead.  Pat the dough into a large rectangle.


Cut the rectangle in half.


Roll the dough up and place it in two loaf pans that have been sprayed with cooking spray.


Cover and let rise till doubled.  I forgot to take a picture of this.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  You the bread is done if you tap on the top and it sounds hollow. 


Brush the tops lightly  with butter.  This stuff is great as is, and it makes spectacular toast!!

No comments:

Post a Comment