Blog

Friday, April 1, 2011

Cashew Chicken

*Based on Rachael Ray's recipe, but changed to suit my taste and what is available in my area.*


2-3 T. Vegetable Oil
2 lbs. Chicken (I was out of breasts so I had to throw in some legs)
salt and pepper
1 inch piece of grated ginger (or 1 T. of jarred ginger)
1 clove of garlic, minced (or 1/2 T. of jarred garlic)
1/2 c. orange marmalade or apricot or peach jam
1/2 c. hoisin sauce
1/2 c. chicken broth
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 yellow onion, cut into bite-sized pieces
4-5 carrots, peeled, cut into bit-sized pieces*
3-4 green onions, thinly sliced for garnish
Hot, cooked rice

*You could also add broccoli, snow peas, edemame, other peppers, and whatever other veggies you like.  It would be super yummy!

The key to this dish is to cut everything first.  I cut up my chicken into bite-sized pieces.  Then I start my rice cooking.  (If you use Minute Rice, you would probably start this later.)  Heat up a skillet or wok with the oil.  While it heats, cut up the veggies.




Salt and pepper the chicken, and put it in the hot oil.  Cook through, stirring regularly.  Remove chicken from the pan. 



In the same pan on a medium-high heat, add the more-dense vegetables to the leftover hot oil (like carrots).  I toss them in with 2 Tablespoons of water and cover it for about 1 minute.  This makes sure the carrots get cooked enough to not be super crunchy.  After 1 minute, remove the lid and let the water evaporate (it only takes a second or two.)



Add the less dense veggies (onion and pepper) along with the garlic and ginger.  Let that cook uncovered for a couple of minutes.  Meanwhile, mix the sauce ingredients by mixing the marmalade, hoisin, soy sauce, and chicken broth in a small bowl. 



When the veggies are crisp-tender (only like 3 minutes), add the chicken back to the pan.  Pour the sauce over the top and stir to coat.  Let the sauce thicken for about 2 minutes.  Pour the cashews into the chicken mixture, and stir. 




Serve over hot, cooked rice with a sprinkle of green onions.  I like to add hot chili sauce to mine, too, to give it some kick.  In my perfect world, this dish is also topped with some cilantro, but I didn't have any!



No comments:

Post a Comment