Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Balsalmic Green Beans

These are sooooo yummy.  My kids gobble them down and ask for more!  Plus, this side dish goes with everything.  It calls for 3-4 pieces cooked and crumbled bacon.  You can cook and crumble it before starting; it just takes longer.  I like to cook up 2-3 pounds of bacon and freeze it.  That way I have it readily available whenever I need it.

You need:

2 bags green beans (I like whole.  If I had fresh, I would use those instead!)
1/2 c. balsalmic vinegar
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 medium onion chopped
3-4 pieces bacon, cooked and crumbled

Add the crumbled bacon to the pan.  Since mine is frozen, I like to bring it back to sizzling.


Add the onion to the pan and cook until soft.


Add the green beans to the pan.  DO NOT COVER THEM!  Just keep stirring until thawed and hot.  If using fresh, you may need to use 1/4 cup of water over medium heat to steam them through.  The frozen beans have enough moisture in them to accomplish the same thing.


While they cook, mix together the balsalmic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar.  It will be rather thick.

When the beans are hot, and starting to get a little brown in the bottom of the pan, add the sauce to the pan.


Let it cook for a couple of minutes.  The sugar will caramelize and the sauce will thicken.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment