Blog

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Chicken on a Can

Ok, this chicken changed my life.  BBQ has never been the same since I learned this way of cooking a chicken!!!  I LOVE THIS CHICKEN!!  It turns out so flavorful, moist, and flat-out delicious that I can hardly contain my excitement when I cook it.  So good!  A must try.

You Need:

Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
A Spice Rub (I love Famous Daves Rib Rub or Durkee Rib Rub)
A Whole Chicken
A Soda or Beer (NO DIET!)

Now, this recipe requires you to get up close and personal with your chicken.  You are going to give this chicken a nice massage.  Pour some olive oil in the palm of your hand and rub it over the inside and outside of the chicken.  Next, loosen the skin from the chicken.  Right above the cavity, the skin has a natural opening.  Put your hand between the meat and the skin and loosen it.  You need to make sure to get in the legs too.  Then, pour your rub in the palm of your hand (I used the spice rub for one and Lemon Herb Rub for the other).  Rub the rub in between the skin and meat, on the outside of the chicken, and on the inside.


This is between the chicken breast and skin.


This is between the chicken leg and the skin.
See how relaxed they look??  Ha ha!

Open the soda and drink about 1/4 of it.  Set it on the counter and place the chicken over it, firmly.  There are little stands available that the can sits in, and they make it more stable for the chicken on the grill. 




I have one, but when I cook for all the fam, I need two chickens.  The pictures show one with the stand and one without.  Turn your grill to a medium heat.  You can place your chickens on the grill immediately.


Grill over a medium heat for about 45 min. to 1 hr.  Use a meat thermometer in the thigh to test for doneness, or carefully slice the chicken open.  While it's cooking, check for small flare ups.  I use a spray bottle of water to tame the flames and keep my chickens cooking without scorching (most of the time!).


This is the beautiful bird.  So yummy!  As you can see, a flare up took out the botoom of the legs--oops!  Carve up the bird.  It should easily slice and come apart at the joints.



I served ours up with grilled asparagus and Macaroni Salad.  Such a great summer meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment